Monday, February 2, 2009

10 Days Until Liftoff

I was wondering about Africa this morning. I wish I knew more about the people, culture and geography. I'll share a little of what I'm learning each day between now and when I leave. Thanks to Claire, a contact working for SIM in Nairobi, plans are taking shape.

I'll leave Seattle Thursday morning (6:10 am) and arrive in Nairobi, Kenya on Saturday (6:40 am). That's 48 hours - the 11 hour time difference = 37 hours of travel. To save money I'm taking the milk run through Chicago, London, Amsterdam, and Dubai.

PLEASE START PRAYING NOW THAT ALL THE CONNECTIONS WILL WORK OUT!!

I'll be in Nairobi for a few days before taking two more planes (probably smaller than the ones before) to Yabus in the Sudan. I've found some helpful tools online to help you keep track of me. For today let's just look at the time difference.

The first nifty little internet gadget (NLIG) is that I've got a counter going for when I touch down in Africa! I'm hoping this link will work for you: http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/customcounter.html?month=2&day=14&year=2009&hour=6&min=40&sec=&p0=170. For those of you who might want to calculate the difference for yourself:

Nairobi is 11 hours later (I'll be there 2/14 - 3/5)
London is 8 hours later (I'll be there 3/6 - 3/8)

So for Africa just think same time but switch to PM or AM and subtract an hour!

Check in each day mid morning for an update . . . you can follow this blog by clicking on "Follow This Blog" on the top right!

Grace and peace,

No comments:

Post a Comment