Monday, February 16, 2009

Day 1 - Yabus

The ride from the airstrip put a whole new meaning to the idea of bumpy. I rode in the back of the pickup with my new friend John. He is a builder, a mason really. He flew up with me from Nairobi to put up a couple more teacher houses. I'm using the term "house" loosely.

Things to be thankful for:
  • It is so hot there are no misquotes
  • There is a fan running on a small battery in my tent
  • I made it here on six different airplane rides; only one was late
  • I gave Phalice a big hug from everyone today, she is very glad to see me. I also gave her lots of chocolate. We ate dark chocolate m&m's while we sipped warm water with Crystal Lite mixed in
  • There are a billion stars in the sky and I can see them as I use my laptop from the patio to my tent
Thinks to pray for
  • The missionaries here: Phalice, the compound manager, Eli and his family (wife and three very small boys), the teachers in the school (three of which are Africans)
  • The students, more on them as I get to know them
  • My state of mind as I live in a safari tent in 100+ degree heat. IT IS SO HOT HERE THERE ARE NO MOSQUITOES!!!
Tomorrow I'll start visiting classes. Phalice wants me to mentor some of the teachers. The three African young men that are teaching have only been up through high school. None of the teachers including the three missionaries are trained teachers.

There is a lot to do just to survive here. I've probably drunk 2-3 liters of warm water today. Of course I sweat 2-3 liters of water today too. I don't understand how they do it . . . well I guess I really do.

Grace and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment