Tuesday, February 10, 2009

3 . . . 2 . . .

I'm at that place in planning a trip when you just want to get on with it. I'm tired of thinking about flying and packing. I want to be there to experience the intense heat; the dry, earthy smell; the pace and sounds of Nairobi; and all that is the beauty and the beast of Africa.

I want to meet Garang Ayiel. He is the recently selected math and science teacher at the school. He has little training past secondary school and no teacher training. Garang is Sudanese and a member of his clan, John Garang, was the first president of Southern Sudan, so the name is quite famous. John was a hero in the war and died in a "mysterious" plane crash. See John Garang de Mabior for more information. I want to listen to Garang's story.

Garang and I have corresponded through email over the past few weeks. His writing is somewhat stilted but very understandable. He ended a recent email with, "We are waiting you eagerly and with open arms to receive you. Safe journey. Garang."

Now you know why I'm anxious to get going.

No comments:

Post a Comment