Friday, February 27, 2009

Day 12 - End of Week Two

This is Camerra, a missionary from India. She teaches Bible, is learning to play the guitar and has an amazing smile & heart for the Lord
Sudanese children find ways to recycle discarded items into toys.
An early pickup game of soccer with a few young boys from the village.

In my spare time I've been hunting cow pies. Interestingly enough it is so dry here that it is easy to pick them up by hand. Reminds me of growing up on the farm, but we used pitch forks to clean the barn. I found two buckets full for Phalice's garden!!


As I wrote the first part of this entry, it was the hot part of the day, over 100, and I was sitting on my small patio under a thatched roof. I've been gardening all morning trying to get Phalice's garden up to snuff before I leave next Tuesday. So I picked up two buckets of donkey and steer manure, installed a drip irrigation system, and weeded the whole thing. I need to put up a fence to keep the chickens out. I'll take pictures of the finished product. Reminds me of a passage of scripture from Luke 13:

6Then he told this parable: "A man had a fig tree, planted in his vineyard, and he went to look for fruit on it, but did not find any. 7So he said to the man who took care of the vineyard, 'For three years now I've been coming to look for fruit on this fig tree and haven't found any. Cut it down! Why should it use up the soil?'

8" 'Sir,' the man replied, 'leave it alone for one more year, and I'll dig around it and fertilize it. 9If it bears fruit next year, fine! If not, then cut it down.' "

Adding a little fertilizer, if you think about it, is buying us some time - preserving the wait time as Earl Palmer would say. Eugene Peterson has a lot to say about this parable in his new book, Tell It Slant - I highly recommend it. You wouldn't think that putting a little manure in a garden was the Lord's work . . . but maybe that small act will have spectacular results in green, fresh vegetables . . . splendor in the ordinary stuff. (End of sermon)

I've been here nearly two weeks. I'll only have one more day, Monday, at the school. I fly back to Nairobi next Tuesday. It is hard to believe I've been here for two weeks of school. It's also hard to believe it snowed in Bellevue yesterday. Can anyone overnight some of the white stuff to Yabus?

I can't deny that it will be great to be home, but I'm going to miss the people from this school.

Grace and peace,

No comments:

Post a Comment