Saturday, February 14, 2009

Touch Down Complete . . . Welcome To Nairobi

Well, I made it. My last flight was 45 minutes late because they had to wait to load an extra 4 Kenyans on board who did not have the correct "documents" to stay in Dubai so they had to leave on the next available plane which was mine. So we were about an hour late leaving Dubai, sitting on the tarmac of course.

David (a Kenyan taxi driver who owns his own company) and Claire were patiently waiting at the airport. David's a kick . . . great sense of humor and will likely drive me several other times during my stay. He also arranges for my trip to the animal park when I return to Nairobi. They whisked me off to a very nice boarding room. It has an open air restaurant where I had breakfast: an omelet with two kinds of peppers, an interesting type of meat, and cheese; sweet potato; a cooked banana in a green peel; a plantain (a little banana); and pretty good coffee. Then I was off to the shower (cold as it was) to scrub off 36 hours of traveling. I tried to take a nap, but I'm a little too wound up. I'll sleep really well tonight since I'm operating on about 6 hours of sleep over the last two days.

I get a brief orientation at noon delivered by Claire and her husband, Thoro (sp), who is Japanese Canadian. After that a nurse talks to me about what to avoid (scorpions, snakes, the water, etc.) Then tonight I have dinner with, Claire, Thoro and the other team from the Eastside who just returned from visiting Phalice in Yabus yesterday. I'll be able to get the scoop on what to expect in the Sudan. Tomorrow at noon I leave for the boarder town/airstrip where I'll spend the night. Monday morning I fly with Thoro and a few others on a 12 seater to Yabus.

No WiFi but I'm able to charge my laptop as I was smart enough to bring the right (Great Britian) adapter. YaYa Center, a large indoor shopping mall, is one block from my room. I'm having my watch band repaired and buying extra suntan lotion. While I'm waiting for my watch, I found this Internet "easy surf" cafe. So I'm able to update my trip information.

There are some electrical problems at the school so my messages might have to be much shorter and probably won't be daily. But, I'll try.

That's it for now . . . I'm in AFRICA!

No comments:

Post a Comment